Monday, February 14, 2005

More Book Evilness

I suppose that working for a bookstore has always been my dream job. In addition to the employee discount and other promotions, I get an early crack at the free books and consignment/bargain titles as well.

For a bookaholic like me, it's quite a challenge, especially since you can figure that the store gets a good chunk of the salary it pays me back in sales. So, whenever I find superb bargains, I like to torment my friends with EVIL BOOKS. (Muhahahaha!) This means bad news for one person.

A) A Swedish anarchist so badly mugged by reality that he now argues in FAVOR of globalization. {In Defense of Global Capitalism -- by Johan Norberg}

B) The Last American (Mountain) Man, who has come to disdain hippies and vegans in favor of plastic buckets, walk-in closets and capitalistic self-promotion. {The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert}

C) The untold stories of the Naval B-24 and Marine B-25 pilots of the Pacific WWII Theater. {Above an Angry Sea: United States B-24 Liberator and PB4Y-2 Privateer Operations in the Pacific (October 1944 to August 1945)} & Leatherneck Bombers Marine Corps B-25/PBJ Mitchell Squadrons by Alan C. Carey.}

D) Everything you wanted to know about the footnote and its history! {The Devil's Details: A History of Footnotes by Chuck Zerby}

(insert more evil laughter here, I'm catching my breath)

2 comments:

Billy Beck said...

Damn you.

They arrived in batches, and I only managed to pile 'em all up on Saturday -- the day of the evil micro-bug that hassled me straight to bed.

So... I'm working up what I intend to be my first complete annotation and indexing of "Atlas Shrugged", while the new Stalin biography is rolling along quite bloodily, and trying not to go sideways into this heap.

Did you know how important "The Devil's Details: A History of Footnotes" would be to me? You must be paying attention. Everything is extremely welcome, of course, but I must say that I was thrilled with the inclusion of Bert Stiles' "Serenade To The BIg Bird". That one's been on my mind for over thirty-five years.

And there it sits, on the day when I have to get my feet under me and say something cogent about Thompson's blast-off.

You torture me, Brown.

Ernest said...

Great, Billy!

Yes, when I saw Zerby's book, I immediately thought that you'd love it.

I almost didn't throw in Stiles's book, but now I'm glad I did.

Just throw on the baseball audiobook, or maybe not...it's a beautiful thing to listen to and read.

Happy reading!