Tuesday, May 13, 2003

I've Been Fisked!

Here's a fisking of me by Steven Den Beste at USS Clueless. Not only does he think that I'm an idiot, he thinks that I'm worse than a creation scientist. Wow! That's pretty low on the totem pole of things despised by the scientific cognosceti. I wonder if I even merit a space above astrologers and phrenologists.

Being an idiot, I of course will need some time to sort through Den Beste's dispassionate, objective, even-handed analysis. Ernie on the other hand can respond anytime.

Until then, here's what the hooha (to use the technical term) is about. A little over a decade ago, I wrote a summary and defense of an argument for the existence of God known as the kalam cosmological argument. That summary is based on William Lane Craig's book, The Kalam Cosmological Argument. Since the early 90s, the summary has been posted to various and sundry places in cyberspace, from WWIVnet to CompuServe. It has received both praise and condemnation, and the follow-up discussions it led to were always filled with rancor. It's amazing how many people think I'm out to trick people with a tarted-up argument for the existence of God.

Anyway, there is a lot about my summary that needs to be changed and altogether pruned--e.g. my remarks about Leibniz's principle of sufficient reason--but I stand by the basic structure of the argument. But don't take my word for it--I might be an idiot.

No comments: